2018-09-15

Dinton to Coombe Bissett

After briefly exploring Dinton, I crossed the Nadder at a place I'm calling Catherine Ford. It doesn't exist on the Ordnance Survey map but it's referred to in the names of Catherine Ford Lane (which must have crossed it) and Catherine Ford Bridge (which probably replaced it).

I then left the Nadder valley without exploring it much or interacting with the river. I climbed the ridge to its south, through Fovant Wood, walked through Fovant village, and up Fovant Down.

On Fovant Down, there were lots of hawthorns covered in fruit, which I decided to collect to make jelly. I haven't foraged for anything much before, and I didn't want to start by depriving other creatures of their food. So I took just a small handful of haws now and then as I passed particularly full trees.

I descended the ridge at Broad Chalke - into the valley of the river Ebble - where I stopped at the Queens Head for a pint of bitter. I didn't interact with the river here, other than by crossing it to walk up onto Knighton Hill. I descended back into the valley at Croucheston, and walked uneventfully through Bishopstone to a place I'm calling Throope. This also doesn't exist on the Ordnance Survey Map, but there is a Throope Manor, Throope Farm, Throope Hill and Throope Bottom Cottages. I think it's reasonable to call this place Throope.

The last few kilometres were Arcadia for me. I left Throope along a track that became a sunken lane, dropping down the hill through a small wooded area into Stratford Tony. Here I found a beautiful thatched cottage, sitting on the bank of the Ebble where it was shallow enough to ford. Leaving the hamlet, I closely followed the river downstream. I walked this part very slowly. After half a kilometre, I found a hidden place amongst the trees to sit on the riverbank and put my feet in the clear water. This was a really nice moment, and I felt I'd established a connection to the Ebble. I walked the final half a kilometre into Coombe Bissett where I said goodbye to the stream, stopped for a pint of bitter at the Fox and Goose, and took the bus back to Salisbury. I made hawthorn jelly that evening.

  • Dinton
  • Catherine Ford
  • Fovant Wood
  • Fovant
  • Fovant Down
  • Broad Chalke
  • Knighton Hill
  • Croucheston
  • Bishopstone
  • Throop
  • Stratford Tony
  • Coombe Bissett